Stream of Consciousness: Insights for these unprecedented times

Courtesy of Crossroads Yearbook

Welcome back signs greeted students as they returned to campus.

William Y., Editor in Chief

2020 is, and will always be remembered as, the year that changed everything. To many of us, this year ushered in a decade that marked the beginning of a new chapter in our lives; a period in which we will discover what passions to pursue for the rest of our lives and transition into adulthood to become the leaders of the next generation. However, many of our plans, hopes and aspirations for the near future are in a state of flux due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The vacations, concerts, internships, and graduations the year had once promised us were replaced with frantic scrambles for toilet paper, glitchy Zoom meetings, and long periods of self-isolation that felt like more like a prison sentence at times. The constant barrage of distressing headlines we had to endure, ranging from the deaths of the Black Mamba, Kobe Bryant, and the Black Panther, Chadwick Boseman, to the murder of George Floyd only contributed the atmosphere of dread and anxiety that is the hallmark of what many people are hailing as the worst year of their lifetimes. Although one would love to wake up from the madness of 2020, as if it is all some sort of demented fever dream, we need to embrace a reality in which there may never be a return to normalcy like the one we have grown accustomed to during our pre-COVID lives. But with that being said, a new status quo isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

One word that has been most commonly thrown around by the media to describe the COVID-19 crisis is “unprecedented,” but if you consider the past century of our nation’s history, this situation is anything but. When it comes to precedent-shattering events that have changed the way in which people view the world, our nation has endured them in abundance. Some of our grandparents may still remember the horrors of the second World War and the ensuing conflict between the United States and the Soviet Union that almost culminated in a potentially world-ending nuclear war. In more recent years, the terrorist attacks of 9/11 brought the nation to its knees and fueled the ongoing war on terror which has resulted in the loss and displacement of millions of lives. Despite all the destruction and chaos, our nation has emerged from these crises stronger and more resilient. The altered world-view stemming from these events has allowed for the development and implementation of strategies and innovations that will help prevent catastrophes of a similar nature in the near future. The current situation that we are living in is no different.

Despite how gloomy and bleak the times we live in currently are, the lessons learned from this period will bring us one step closer to a world of prosperity and peace. To quote my favorite philosopher, an animated anthropomorphic turtle who is also (allegedly) the creator of Kung Fu, Master Oogway-

“Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.”

When living in the midst such tumultuous times, it is very easy to get bogged down by the fear and uncertainty of what distant future will bring. But if the events of this year are any indication, whatever lies in store in the years ahead is completely unpredictable and any attempt to create a step-by-step blueprint that outlines the rest of your life is, to put it bluntly, a waste of time. Of course it is important to work towards certain goals and dreams, but do not allow the infinite possibilities consume you. Additionally, constantly dwelling on past events is just as futile because it is impossible to undo something that has already happened. Learn from mistakes, grow from them, and move on. Stop worrying about changing the unchangeable. One can always worry about tomorrow…tomorrow.

As the next step in your high school journey begins, we at The Courant hope that we all can learn from yesterday and prepare for tomorrow, but focus on today.🔳