Students Stepping Up 

Lakxshanna (Lexi), Clubs Editor 

Throughout the ongoing pandemic, students have been taking action in various ways in order to aid difficult situations within our community.  

The COVID-19 outbreak has had many detrimental effects around the world. Hospitals are facing shortages of proper protective equipment, medical workers on the frontline are putting themselves at a great risk, and unemployment has led to increasing demands among foodbanks. When three Commack students learned about these difficulties, they decided to take action  

Sophomore Brandon G. has been 3D printing protective equipment and ear-savers for healthcare workers on the frontline. At the start of the outbreak, he was researching possible ways to use his 3D printer to support essential workers. Once he came across a public design for face-shields on an online website called “Thingiverse”, he decided to produce and donate equipment.  

“As of today, I have donated 1,500 face shields and 700 ear savers to various hospitals, doctors, nurses, nursing home workers, EMTs, Commack ambulances, speech therapists, and physical therapists,” said Brandon G.  

Brandon’s efforts have been featured on multiple news and media platforms. By spreading his message through these platforms, he was able to raise $3200 on fundraising websites like GoFundMe.  

“I was able to purchase 2 new machines to help keep up with the demand. I’m also using the donations to purchase the filament needed to produce the face shields and ear savers,” said Brandon G.  

Sophomore Ellie A. has been making and selling sweatshirts featuring a “Commack Strong” logo. She designed the logo with the help of her sister. They wanted to make a design that could bring the community together during this hard time.   

“I was inspired to start making these sweatshirts when I saw how hard the first responders are working to keep us safe. I wanted to take action instead of just sitting at home,” said Ellie A.

A portion of her profits are going to the Commack Feeds Our Heroes organization. This group works towards providing first responders with fresh meals.   

“We are donating trays of bagels, coffee, protein bars, and cases of water to the morning and night shifts at St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center,” said Ellie A.

Senior Theresa H. has started a virtual food drive which helps distribute food to people in need around Long Island. Currently, she has raised about 45 dollars in food items.  

The virtual food drive is essentially an online store with an interface that allows the users to ‘check out’ items based off the amount of money they want to donate. All they have to do is pick an item and provide their credit card information so that Island Harvest can take that money and get the food [which] will be given out to people throughout Long Island,” said Theresa H.

Theresa H. has prior experience with virtual food drives. She started one in September as a member of the student Island Harvest group. She was inspired to create another one when she realized that it would allow people to donate food for Long Islanders in need while maintaining social distancing rules.  

“If everyone just stays positive or does something little, then those little [contributions] could turn into something big,” said Theresa H. 🔳