SENIOR FAREWELL 2022

Ashley Javier, Chief Reporter

By Ashley Javier, Chief Reporter 

Attending New York University

I moved to Long Island in 2012 during the middle of second grade, from the noisy city of Queens to the white picket suburbs of Dix Hills. I moved here to be closer to my family which includes five cousins who all attended and graduated Commack High School. Now, in my final year at the same high school, I am writing this farewell letter and will soon be graduating as part of the class of 2022, 10 years later. 

Everyone says that time flies. I always thought of that as a cliché, but after each year in high school, it felt like time would go by faster and faster. I remember the transition from middle school to high school, being absolutely terrified of the number of responsibilities that would be bestowed upon me, and living up to expectations of high school being “some of the best years of your life.” Much to my surprise, I surmounted all that came at me; endless hours of studying, incessant assignment uploads, and a literal global pandemic taking away normalcy for half of my high school experience. 

I joined The Courant sophomore year of high school, the year the previously mentioned global pandemic occurred. Because of that, I remember my first ever interview was done over email, which I now know is not the most ideal way to communicate with your sources, but we managed to adapt, eventually leading to the change from paper newspapers being handed out during homeroom to an easily accessible Courant website. I’ve learned not only how to work with what you’ve got, but so much more from my time on The Courant. I broke out of my comfort zone through the in-person interviews I finally got to do which taught me how to manage my time and initiate progressive communication. 

The Courant was the club that I stayed on the longest, and the club I felt I gained the most from. I never thought that I would join a journalism club. I am quite a reserved person, so being a part of a club where I would need to write stories for the whole school to read was the last thing I would’ve expected. But as I reflect on what I’ve offered these past 3 years, I’m thankful to realize that this club allowed me to break my own barriers, and showed me the importance and significance of journalism. I’m truly thankful to have been a part of The Courant. 

I would like to thank a special individual who I’ve had the privilege of getting to know and work with not only on The Courant, but also on Crossroads Yearbook, and as a student aide, Mrs. Semple. Mrs. Semple is the brains and brawn of two of the most influential publications at Commack High School. She has taught her students, ‘Couranteers’, and ‘Yerds, what a tireless work ethic looks like. And I’ve had the personal pleasure of learning everything first-hand. From how to write a story and interview sources, to the difference between the noun: aide, and the verb: aid. I’m going to miss our ninth-period chats in the place I looked forward to ending my day in. I truly couldn’t have asked for a better teacher and leader, thank you for everything.

As I venture onto the next four years of my life, I will remember Commack High School and all that it has taught me. 🔳