Field Hockey team contributes to Commack community

The Commack Varsity and JV Field Hockey players present a check for $350 to General Needs founder Mr. Lonnie Sherman

Olivia Condell, Editor In Chief

Commack High School’s Varsity and Junior Varsity Field Hockey Teams participated in the Stix Booster Club Fundraiser where clothing and household items were collected for Savers Thrift Store and, in return, money was earned based on the weight of the donations.

A total of $350 were raised from this fall event.  

The funds were donated to General Needs, a local non-profit organization that aids homeless veterans and their families on Long Island. 

“[General Needs’] mission focuses on providing the basic necessities that are missing in the everyday lives of our homeless veterans [for them to] live lives of dignity. [This] is spearheaded by Lonnie Sherman whose children are alumni of Commack High School,” said Stix Club President Stephanie Iannuzzi, in a press release. 

On February 14, Lonnie Sherman, the Founder and President of General Needs, was presented an oversized check by the field hockey teams from their fundraising achievements. The organization provides essential items, such as footwear, toiletries and cold and warm weather clothing for homeless Veterans and Veterans in need.

“We are so proud of our players and so pleased to partner with a great organization,” said Iannuzzi. 🔳